Tuesday, August 26, 2014

cold weather blues



This past week it felt like fall in Brooklyn-perfect cool, breezy days. The thing is-I have a case of seasonal affective disorder S.A.D. indeed! The minute it starts getting cold outside my mood goes downhill fast.
Fall is a giant transition for nature, and it seems for me too. I feel like change always finds me in the fall, and bad news follows around Christmas time. I always seem to be anxiously waiting for April and May to feel like myself again. 

This was taken in Ireland when I stayed with Wendy-it was the coldest I've ever been and I'm sure ever will be.  We wore socks and scarves to bed, and still felt cold.


I read nat's descripition of fall a few years ago, and I've always loved it.



"the deal about fall is that it's hardly really here at all. right? maybe just for a few afternoons, when the sun shines just right--not too strong, of course, there must be a chill--while the clouds linger just so, and the leaves float by slowly. fall is wonderful just for the fact that it's so scarce. summer always bleeds too far in and the winter drops too soon, leaving us with this gorgeous scarcity. nothing about fall can last, not the colors nor the crispness, because in reality, fall is dying. fall is the death of nature. and it is beautiful. isn't that interesting? death is beautiful. do we recognize its beauty because it happens so fast and we can see it before our eyes? in real life, death is frightening because it sneaks up on us. we're young and we're young and then gradually and suddenly, we're not. but could it still be beautiful just the same?"


This year I am going to try my hardest to break this awful cycle. I wish summer was here a little longer, but I get to spend Christmas in New York city for crying out loud! I'm healthy with so many sweet  visitors planned between now and December-not to mention... It's still August! I plan on cramming in one or two more beach days this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment