Wednesday, December 31, 2014

a favorite.

you guys. New Year's is my favorite holiday. FAVORITE.
everyone seems to think this is strange so allow me to explain...

1) the entire world celebrates

    honestly it is probably the closest we will ever come to world peace! I remember watching the ball drop on television one year and "imagine" by J. Lennon was playing and I just sobbed-like full on wepttttt. The night sky was full of confetti and everyone was making out under the lights in times square and then the network flashed to fireworks booming in Japan and flags waving in Canada and dancing in Germany and I'll never ever forget it.

2)it was fun when I was young

   I would spend the night out in the country at Charlee's house (childhood best friend). We would dress up (wear a wedge we couldn't walk in and wear a little lip gloss) and go to dinner (Macaroni Grill) with her parents. After dinner we came home and drank out of goblets full of mountain dew. We ate chips with salsa and sour cream, and SO.MUCH. dessert (sometimes still hungry after our healthy feast we ate our leftover pasta from dinner). We would watch the ball drop beneath the glow of the Christmas tree while holding her dachshund Oscar, and talk about our big 7th grade goals, and finally end the night with a go to sleep movie (normally A Walk to Remember). this tradition lasted quite a while you guys-I was very cool in high school....

3)it is so freaking romantic

    kisses in evening gowns in the snow, babies being born, showing up at 12:00 to confess love, finally breaking up, proposing, champagne and chocolate...you get it.

4)the clothes

   helllooooo sparkle shoes! Hi tutu! how you doing red lipstick? what up glitter eye shadow?? what's happening tuxedo?

5)hope

   we all hope for good things together, and that is wonderful. I love how blank you feel the very next morning. I love the tv marathons and radio talks and gym memberships and being sleepy/hungover/happy/covered in glitter with your pals.


each year I seem to find words I go over and over and over-this year it was these:

2014 was hard and far and away  more wonderful than I could have dreamed up. I moved to New York City and pushed myself and freed myself and got my heartbroken and felt more joy than ever before and even got a dog! I'm truly excited for 2015.

I've even found my words: "Hope comes as a companion; she slips her arm around your shoulder and offers to help you stumble towards change."
(Patsy Clairmont-from Mammaw)







No comments:

Post a Comment